Friday, January 28, 2005

On Behalf of the United States Army, We Regret To Inform You

My little community sent over 1/3 of its population to Iraq and many, many of those soldiers have either been wounded or killed. I have been extremely lucky in that I have only known one of those injured soldiers and better yet, I have not known any of the deceased soldiers. That's not to say that I don't know their friends and families. Each of the fallen has had an impact on our community, even the young 19 year old, single soldier with no wife or children. Although his biological family resides in the states, his Army family in Schweinfurt grieves tremendously. Without a doubt, his Army family remaining in Iraq and his extended Army family all over the world grieve at his passing.

By no means do I claim to be a close personal friend of the wounded soldier that I do know. I still know him. I have spoken with this man on several occasions. I know his wife. I know his son. I know the spouses of the soldiers who worked with him. I know friends and neighbors of the soldier and his family. This man and his family are part of my Army family and I grieve for them.

What hits even harder is that this man, this soldier is a nice person, a good man. He is a good soldier. Additionally, he is a physically impressive man. Big, masculine, gruff, macho, impervious, John Wayne type with the aura of indestructibleness. When he was wounded several months ago, the news was hard to take. His injuries were severe. A bullet ricocheted, entered his neck and did major damage to his mouth, throat, and neck. It was touch and go for awhile. Thankfully, he recovered.

Typical for so many soldiers, he wanted to go back to his men, his soldiers, his Army. He wanted to get back to Iraq. Once he recovered, although he did not have to return to Iraq, he went. Thoughts and prayers went with him.

Our little community was rocked this week. That same soldier, the one who had too close of a call, was hit again. An RPG found its target. He sustained severe injuries; head wound, open fracture to the hand and an open fracture to his leg. He survived, but lost his leg. His gunner sustained fatal injuries.

I can't even begin to entertain what his wife is going through. This is the second time her husband has escaped death. Even now, his prognosis is questionable.

He didn't have to go back. He could have stayed here in Germany. I suspect remaining in garrison, while the troops endured wasn't an option for him. Hopefully, he'll recover from these injuries and be able to return to active duty. He is a career soldier. The military seems to be working with amputees and allowing good soldiers to stay good soldiers.

I haven't yet categorized how I feel. I haven't yet come to terms with the emotional impact. I had lunch yesterday with a friend who knows the family. I had lunch today with a friend who's close with the family. The news is just so horrible that it doesn't seem real.

My heart aches for this soldier and his family and their friends.

What do you say to your friend whose husband nearly died a few months ago and now has nearly escaped death again, minus a limb?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of hundreds of soldiers who feel that their men (Army family) need them so they keep on fighting. These soldiers are true hero's. There is a call to duty and then there is a CALL TO DUTY.
As for the family. All you can really do is to let me know that you are keeping them in your prayers. There really is no words for this.
I do hope that the Army will treat this soldier as a hero that he is and that the Americans out there will pass this around so that everybody will know that there are true heros still in the military.