Monday, January 24, 2005

Actually It's the Son Who Knows Best

My son, he'll be 18 in June, is currently unemployed. Why a physically capable young man isn't working is something I just can't understand. I have encouraged him to get a job. Granted, most available positions in our community are fast food places, but one does what one has to in order to earn some cash.

Well, recently a Help Wanted sign popped up at Subway. This is a wonderful opportunity. It's less than a 10 minute walk from where we live. My son could ride his bike there in less than 5 minutes. He'd be able to ride his bike on regular streets with street lights. His last summer job was a 15 minute bike ride on a back rough road with no lights whatsoever. At night, it's very dark. But this Subway job sounds perfect.

I guess -job- is the operative word because my son has yet to rush right over there and pick up an application. Keep in mind, he wants to go to Holland for three days. I have no objection to him going on a short trip with his friend, provided that he pay his own way. Yikes! That condition put a damper on the getaway weekend plans. The train ticket alone would cost him over $100. Then he'd have to spend money on lodging (even a rat-hole hotel costs money) and he'd need to eat something. Since Europe doesn't require it's citizens to wait until the age of 21 to consume alcohol, I am perfectly aware my son has intentions to drink many beers and other assorted spirits. That certainly would cost money too.

Since this weekend in question is this coming Friday, I inquired to the status of the plans. He has decided that the trip would cost too much money and he can't afford it right now.

Then I did the logical thing....I suggested he get a job. And, don't forget, Subway is hiring. There is that Help Wanted sign clearly posted for all to see. I have no doubt my son would be hired on the spot. Our little community is about to be inundated with over 4,500 soldiers in the next couple weeks. Those soldiers are going to be hungry and Subway is the place to go. We don't have much of a selection and with the euro to dollar exchange rate being as lousy as it is, there is even less of an affordable selection.

Apparently, what sounds reasonable to an adult sounds utterly ridiculous to a teenager. He looked at me as if I were purple with golden tassels swinging from my candy cane horns. Getting a job wouldn't make it any easier for him to take a trip because he would have to work. Oh, of course, getting a job means you actually have to go to work to earn that paycheck that allows you to be able to afford to take trips.

According to the son, he'll never be able to go on a weekend excursion. He has no money so he won't be able to afford it. He can't get a job because then he won't have the time to take a trip. I guess the ideal would be for him to get paid to enjoy his leisure time. Silly me for thinking otherwise.

It must be nice to live in ignorance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh MY! Stick to your guns on this one. Instill good work ethics and habits in him now or you'll end up like me. An old woman with a lazy 30 year old who thinks the world should pay his way for everything. Good luck and tell your son it is not cool to be 30 and have to tell people you still live with your mother!