Saturday, January 15, 2005

How Much Is That wildebeest In The Window

My absence from my blog is easily explainable. I bought Zoo Tycoon last week and have been building zoos ever since. It's incredibly addicting. I started building a zoo at 8:00 pm and was up until 2:00 am. Not only did I dream about what kind of fencing I needed to keep giraffe from escaping, I dreamed about making sure my zoo visitors had enough drink stands and restrooms to keep them happy. Then, my brain went into overdrive and I woke up at 6:00 am and was wide awake and ready to build more zoos. I decided that I needed to accomplish something that day, so I went to the gym for a little over an hour. Once I returned home, I jumped into the shower and immediately went back to the computer for more zoo exhibit building. I didn't even dry my hair. Not only that, but I also ignored the hunger pains. I told myself I'd get something to eat after one more exhibit was productive. I glanced at the clock and noticed it was 11:30 am. I had been building since 8:00 that morning. The next time I looked at the clock, it was 3:00 pm. Okay, just one more attraction, then I'll stop. My kid came home from school and I finally got off of the computer around 4:00 pm because I had a meeting to attend. If that's not obsessive behavior, I don't know what is. I will say that playing Zoo Tycoon has given me a new appreciation for zoo admission fees. I have yet to build a zoo where I can actually get into the black. Even starting with a half a million dollars, my zoos operate in the red. That's with charging $32.75 per adult and $6.00 for a hamburger. Never again will I complain about how much a day at the zoo costs. I'll be happy to drop $7.50 on a soda and $9.75 for a hotdog. Of course fries are $8.50. They need to be. It's all good.

I've been able to limit my crack-like zoo addiction somewhat. I make sure I get all of my household chores completed before firing up the D drive. Even so, I have talked myself into putting off grooming my dogs. The poor things were looking way too fuzzy. Rag-a-muffins, definitely. So, I broke down and shaved them today. And wouldn't you know, the temperature must have dropped 20 degrees since yesterday. Their little naked bottoms must be freezing. They sure get to their business quickly, though. No dilly-dallying. Pee pee and come back inside. Momma didn't raise no fools.

Anyway, between the Mahjong Towers II and the Zoo Tycoon, I haven't really done much since my last posting. Well, I take that back, I spent one whole afternoon in the Passport office. That was a nightmare. To live in a foreign country as a dependent of the military, one has to have a SOFA stamp in their no-fee passport. SOFA is not a comfortable couch. It's a Status of Forces Agreement stamp. That means we fall under a different category of long-term resident status. Some how when we ordered our passports (mine and our children's), the government neglected to stamp my passport, but stamped our children's. So, two years ago, when we first arrived in Germany, I went to the passport office and patiently suffered through the bureaucratic red tape and got a SOFA stamp. Well, sometime over the last two years, the regulations have changed and the paper SOFA stamp that was previously issued is no longer valid. It must be replaced by a new SOFA stamp.

So, off to the passport office. Unfortunately, that portion of the office doesn't open until 1300 hours (1:00 pm). The ID card portion opens at 0800. Luckily, when I do work, I sometimes fill in for the woman who works in the office next door to the ID card section. The women who work in that office know me and made an exception for me. They allowed me to sign the Sign In sheet several hours early. Technically, they aren't even supposed to put that sheet out until 1130. I was #2 on the list and they told me to come back no later than 1300. No problem.

Wrong, problem. Apparently, that list went missing. There were at least 15 people in the waiting room all claiming they had signed the list prior to the first person on the new list, who signed in at 1215. Pandemonium. Folks were not happy. I really did try to keep my patience. It lasted longer than it would have had I been a regular person and not a colleague. I finally received my SOFA stamp around 1500 (3:00). Definitely, the passport office is not run like a tight ship. That ship is so full of holes that even the rats have abandoned it.

And the new SOFA stamp? The one so important that it had to replace the old SOFA stamp. The only difference I can tell is that the new stamp is on a green piece of paper and is laminated. No wonder people roll their eyes and groan when they have to deal with government agencies.

By the way, the January edition of True Story is available at your local news stand. It's merely a suggestion that you run out an pick up a copy. Be sure to check out the editor's comments about the "Army Wife's Marriage Guide, Military Style". Since I wrote it and was paid for it, I think I've earned bragging rights.

----Scully, thanks for the kick in the pants to get busy and write something. I'm so glad you're watching out for me. ---

----Dead, you are correct in the used to. Perhaps, after I sell a few more manuscripts, you could become my editor. What is it that you do for a living, anyway? ---

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you have probably read on my blog, it's all about me, hence why I was wondering where you were.

And I was all worried the kids had rebelled and you were trapped under the fridge or something. But no, you're building a zoo!!!!!

My son has built an amusement park - thankfully he plays these games at his father's house or I'd hurt him for hogging the computer that long.

Cool game!

I have issues with pogo.com - I can be on there for days at a time.

My new addiction is iTunes - we just got in Canada and I was at work all day and managed to download twenty songs. And I knew it had to happen, but I also downloaded a gangsta rap song by accident.. Yeah, that was interesting.

That's the pits about the passport stamp - it's not much easier in Canada. If you sign your name one millimeter outside the line, they will reject your application. It's so much fun dealing with government agencies anywhere in the world.

Make sure you don't get eaten by the lions, try to get yourself into the black and post every now and then.

And check out the Calgary Zoo - it's a well respected zoo.

http://www.calgaryzoo.org/

Step away from the computer and knit sweaters for the dogs.

Scully
blackleyj@yahoo.com

Dead Serious said...

I'm an English professor, although I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up. I teach quite a bit of grammar, which is why I've been able to put my two cents in. Nothing makes you learn the rules of grammar like having to teach them to others.

Dead Serious said...

I hope, though, that you won't now hold my blog to a higher standard. Like most people, I don't like bringing my work home with me.