Sunday, February 06, 2005

Hey, What About My Backyard?

Being that I live in Germany, I am limited to the television programming provided by American Forces Network (AFN). There is a broadcasting agreement between AFN and our host nation which does not allow for regular commercials to be shown. Instead, we get informative commercials, things like the history of our states and capitals and the growth and development of the United States. Although it is rare, sometimes a program with regular commercials slips through. Today was one of those days. While watching 20/20 (the use of video cameras in all facets of our society), I saw commercials other than the informative kind. Crayola, a financial investment company and several agencies wishing contribution for Tsunami relief.

Tsunami relief? Celebrities and assorted do-gooders have joined forces to solicit donations to help the survivors of the Tsunami that impacted Indonesia and other countries on the other side of the world. Makes me wonder. What agencies were developed and what celebrities banded together to support a campaign to collect money to aid those Americans impacted by the hurricane which wrecked Pensacola, Florida? That natural disaster left many people without homes and power and yet I did not see any humanitarian welfare agencies sponsor a concert to benefit those families. Perhaps, there were and me being in Germany kept me isolated from those efforts.

It just seems to me that other countries expect the United States to provide financial aid for every ailment under the sun. I don't recall Indonesia, any African country or southwest Asian country providing any funds to support the rebuilding of the California homes destroyed in mudslides. Those folks in Florida sure could have used an extra twenty bucks in the wake of their hurricane. Let's not forget the thousands of acres and homes and schedules disrupted by the fires that swept over Colorado and California. Although I don't have much sympathy for folks living in trailer parks in Kansas, Nebraska or Oklahoma (they're just asking to get blown away by tornadoes), I don't see any foreign nations rushing to their aid. How many euros have been contributed to the prevention of homelessness by France?

Let's talk about the fleecing done by Germany. The Army posts in Germany contribute to the local economy. Not only do Americans spend money in shops, restaurants, nightclubs and taxi-cabs, but also employ many, many German nationals. Military posts are provided with additional security (especially during deployments) by private security companies. Those companies bill the US government to pay for the guards monitoring the installations. Talk about getting fat off the backs of others. Germany bills the US at a rate double what the guard really earns. For example, the security company receives 20 euro an hour for a guard who is paid 10 euro an hour, of which 41% is taxed by the German government. Additionally, under the Standard of Forces Agreement (SOFA) employment opportunities which could be filled by American spouses and other dependents, are offered to local nationals. Certain positions are required to be filled by a German national. Being a military dependent precludes access to employment opportunities. Funny how that's against Equal Opportunity Employment rules in the United States.

It just seems to me that everyone wants American money and American help, but don't want to give or help in return. That is pretty crappy. Just consider how the local economy of towns nearby to military posts would be impacted if the US military decided to leave. Germany didn't want anything to do with Iraq and let's not forget about France. How bad would the euro suffer if there were no dollars being spent in Germany, Belgium, Italy, or France? Europe sure has embraced McDonald's and Disney.

Imagine the reaction by the UN if President Bush stood up one day and said, "Okay gentlemen, the United States is withdrawing all support from Europe and Asia. Effective immediately, Korea is on its own. No American help will be provided to Afghanistan. Former Eastern Block countries, you will have to solve your own problems. As a matter of fact, the borders of the United States of America are closed to all immigration. Effective immediately all American dollars currently being provided by our government will be stopped. All of those dollars will now be spent own within our own borders. We have enough problems at home that we don't need to sort out yours. Good luck to you and goodbye."

Personally, I'm tired of being taken advantage of. I'm tired of having to defend my nationality. I'm tired of being a dirty, rich capitalist American. Relationships should be give and take. I'm tired of my country always giving and everyone else taking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog today. Glad I did!

I am Active Duty Air Force, stationed in Stuttgart. My brother-in-law is with the Big Red One stationed where you are deployed to Iraq.... And he's supposed to be back today!

At any rate, after having been stationed overseas in Turkey and then Germany, I completely agree that everyone's hand is out, asking for More America. God forbid we say anything but "Yes!" Who's the jerk now? We are. We give thousands in aid, to include military assistance.... It's never enough.

I personally worked on the briefing that outlines the US military's restructure in Europe. It made immediate sense. We have accomplished what we needed here in Germany; the Cold War is over and we can safely say that we made up for the destruction that "we caused" in WWII. (What a freakin' joke)
We need to focus on a bigger picture, like the ungoverned areas in Africa, the struggling Eastern Block.... I guarantee that Poland would appreciate a little slice of the apple pie. Eventually, though, I am sure that the appreciation will slowly transform itself. It's probably like that semi-distant relative that wins the lottery: Considered generous at first, stingy later when they STILL have more that you do. It's ridiculous!

I love my military, believe me. I adore my country and have such swelling pride each time I think that my little brother served a very productive year in Iraq. I wouldn't change a thing - however, some days I think we should pack it all up and go home. Screw 'em!

I know it won't happen, but it's always nice to daydream.

Check out my brother's military blog: www.thequestingcat.com

I'll be reading you!

Allison