Thursday, February 10, 2005

When's the Next Bus?

Over the past few days many, many soldiers have returned to our little community. They are weary, tired and very appreciative of Welcome Home hugs. I have made it a point to be available for Welcome Home ceremonies as the buses pull into town. For the most part, the buses are arriving on a three or four hour schedule. The Welcome Home ceremony lasts about 3 minutes. So, the huggers (folks like me who are there for support and not because our husbands are scheduled to arrive on that particular bus) wait and wait. But the waiting is worth it. Each soldier I hug and whisper "welcome home, I'm so glad you're back" into his ear, brings me one soldier closer to holding my husband. Besides, most of the soldiers I actually hug are young, single men who have no family waiting at the ceremony for them. They need a show of appreciation too and I'm glad to do it.

I am delighted to see them line up in formation and march into the building. They stand at attention, at ease, and then are dismissed. Pandemonium of hugs and kisses and tears of joy commence at the command "Dismissed". It really is a sight to see. Pride and love fill the room and I am thrilled to be a part of it. Even if it means sneaking cat naps throughout the night, at most getting three hours of sleep before the next bus arrives, I'm grateful. Although I haven't known any of the soldiers personally, I love each and every one of them. They are my family and just having them back feels good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only cool, but appreciated by everyone who can't give hugs also.
Give'em one from Granny Jan.

Kelly Hanson said...

There are plenty of hugs to go around.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly~
Thank you. My little brother, who left a boy and is coming back a man.... Will be returning any minute now. While I am in Germany, I am unable to greet him off the bus. I am especially thankful for you to give him the 'Welcome Home' he deserves. He did good down there. He saw a lot of action. He won't tell me about it. Thanks again.... You will never know what a huge difference you are making.... But I know.

Allison

Kelly Hanson said...

Allison--what unit is your brother with? Is he arriving in Schweinfurt? I'll be more than happy to give him a hug from you. Feel free to email me with his details if you wish.-