Friday, September 24, 2004

Adventures of the Week and More to Come

Phew! It has been an eventful week. Firstly, Spud, the Spudinator, the Spudster, Spudoram, Spud Man, went home to his momma. He was sure glad to see her, but I suspect he'll miss having my three pups around to play with.

The elementary school called me to work three days this week. One whole day of First Grade, one whole day of Fifth Grade and a half day of First Grade. Plus, I'm on schedule for a half day next Monday for First Grade and a whole day next Tuesday for PE. I can't say PE is my favorite class to sub for. I didn't like it when I was in school and the thought of monitoring small children while they run and scream for 45 minutes each class isn't appealing. Maybe I should have them play dodge ball. Maybe I should participate. Boy, that would be fun. Slamming seven year olds with playground balls. It would sure teach them a thing or two. Imagine what they would think if I showed up to sub in their regular class.

Oh, but I digress. The children actually love it when I substitute. I always bring a bag of treats. Children who finish their work and have done it correctly get a prize, as do the winners of a game of Simon Says. I, naturally, am always Simon. It's fun and the kids enjoy playing, except when they loose. I have to explain every time we play that someone has to loose and someone has to win. If they want to win, they need to pay more attention. Just so you know, I don't make it easy. They really do have to pay attention and not always just copy what I do. I trick them all the time. I'll say Simon Says hand on hips, but instead of putting my hands on my hips, I'll put them on my shoulders. The children who just mirror what I do end up out of the game. Only the ones who listen to the instructions manage to hang on just a bit longer.

The other thing I really enjoy doing when I sub is reading stories out loud. My friend, Amber, my afternoon work-out partner, is a First Grade teacher at the same school where I substitute. She has two terrific books that I love to borrow to read to the class. Edward that Emu and Edwina the Emu. Great stories with fabulous pictures. I was so inspired by the books, that I opted to write a rhyming story myself.

I enrolled in a writing course focusing on literature for children nearly two years ago. The course is a two year correspondence course. I only have one more assignment left before I complete the course. That assignment is to write a children's book using all the techniques learned over the last two years. Believe me, I have learned a tremendous amount. I have been so pleased with the course, that I enrolled in the second course for writing for adults. I am very excited about that program. Anyway, I think I'll submit my rhyming story about Lancelot the Lizard as my assignment number 10. I really like the story. I had Amber read it and she enjoyed it as well. That makes me feel pretty good about it because not only does she teach Frist Grade, but she also specializes in literacy.

Also this week, I met with a great doctor who put me on some great medication. I have to say that I haven't felt this good since.....never. I should have done this long, long ago. No more anxiety, no more racing thoughts, no more freaking out for no reason. Life really is wonderful.

To make my situation even better, my husband, the most wonderful man on the planet, is coming home in approximately four days. I can't wait. I have not seen him since February 3, 2004. He's been off in the desert being all he can be. This is his second deployment to Iraq and I have to say that it's been two too many. His R&R is only for 15 days and then he has to go back. That will definitely be a sad day, but I'm not going to think about that while he's home. I'm going to enjoy his company and get my groove back, if you know what I mean.

In preparation for his homecoming, I have washed my sheets, cleaned the house about a thousand times, done laundary, bought groceries, and made a welcome home sign. My heart has been so lonely without him. Luckily, he'll make it home just in time to catch the last weekend of Oktoberfest.

We went to Oktoberfest two years ago. We decided since we were in Germany, we simply had to drink beer in the biggest beer drinking event. Everybody has heard of Oktoberfest. It's a three week beer drinking celebration and a good time is had by all. Funny thing, it's in September. Go figure. Anyway, we are planning on going for the last weekend, October 2, and taking our children. This will be the last opportunity we have to do the Munich trip while living in Germany and we want to expose our children to as much culture as possible.

After Oktoberfest, we are leaving our children in the safe and capable hands of our neighbor while we go off galavanting in Garmisch. Two wonderfully peaceful days of no children, no responsibilities and nothing to do but lay in the bed naked. Sounds GREAT!

Then after that, I have planned to visit Kiss Salis. It's the largest spa in all of Germany. If there is one thing the Germans know how to do (other than drink beer) it's doing the spa treatment. Kiss Salis is AMAZING and believe it or not, the cost is quite reasonable. My mother and I spent five days there and hand every skin treatment they offered. What would have cost nearly $7,000 in the states cost right around $1,000 here. It was cheaper for my mother to buy a plane ticket, fly halfway around the world and spa in Germany than it was for her to spa in her own coutry. If I ever get around to it, I plan on writing an article about the place and the feature comforts offered. Any suggestions as to where I should submit the article for publication? I'd like to break in to Oprah's magazine. I haven't been able to find a Travel and Leisure magazine. Is it still in publication?

Please don't expect any blog news during R&R. I want to spend every possible moment with my amazing husband that I possibly can. The past eight months have been tremendously long. I suspect I'm going to need a vacation from this vacation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the feeling better and the upcoming R&R! My man will be here 5am TOMORROW!! You are doing better than I am, I didn't buy groceries or make a welcome home sign. I just shaved lots of places and cleaned the house. Enjoy the time you have, Samantha

Anonymous said...

www.bird-feeders-direct.combird feeder baffle