Monday, September 20, 2004

Too cold for comfort

As I have three dogs that require grooming, I invested in a set of clippers. I figure that at $20 to $30 per dog for a grooming every 6+ weeks, it was cost effective for me just to do it myself. Actually, I'd been grooming Sydney her whole life. I would sit on the floor and shave away.

Things became much more involved when Kirby and I started dating. Jake has absolutely no desire to get a hair cut and Annabelle trembles uncontrollably. Being that my husband is the greatest man in the universe, he bought me a grooming table for my birthday three years ago. (Just so happens that was the last time he was home for my birthday. He's been deployed being all he can be ever since)

The table made everything much, much easier. The dogs still react to grooming the same way, but now, with the table, I have more control.

Well, last night I pulled out the table and clippers. Jake disappeared. Annabelle quickly followed suit. Sydney has given up. She knows resistence is futile. Well, Spud, the Pyscho dog, apparently has never seen a groom table, and why should he? He has short hair with no need for clipping. He went nuts; barking and running around like he was a crazy dog. That only stirred up the anxiety for the two hiding.

Finally, I was able to finish shaving all of my dogs inspite of Spud's protests. Well, they sure look cute with their new haircuts. Unfortunately, they get cold. The weather is changing and it has been chilly at night. Because I sleep with all my windows open, my room gets cold during the night.

Typically, Sydney sleeps on my bed. Sometimes she crawls under the covers, but she doesn't stay there very long because she gets too hot. Then, she'll move to the pillows and claim them all (I have 8 on the bed) for herself. If she's feeling charitable, she'll share one with me.

Jake will begin the evening on the bed, but eventually jumps down to sleep on his big dog pillow. The doesn't like being cramped not touched while he sleeps.

Annabelle would love to sleep on the bed, but she can't jump that high. Remember, she has little legs and she lives in the world 6 inches off the floor. Sometimes, when she looks at me with those big brown eyes and asks ever so politely, I'll pick her up. She loves the bed. She plops down in a spot and does not move for the rest of the night. Let me tell you, she is one solid dog. For 27 pounds, she is 100 pounds of dead weight.

Spud, well, he demands to be under the covers. He does not share the bed very well. We've had to have some heart to heart discussions about his poor sharing skills. He is just plain nasty when is comes to having his space invaded while sleeping.

Anyway, it got cold last night. Sydney never left my side. She was snuggled up into a ball and curled up next to me. Spud slept in the crook of my legs just behind my knees. Jake spent longer than usual on the bed. He eventually jumped down and curled up with Annabelle.

I have to admit, I slept pretty good last night. Happiness is a bed full of snuggly pups.

No comments: