Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ailment Finally Relinquishing Its Grasp

Last Tuesday, I ate something that truly didn't agree with me. I, in a moment of weakness for the tasty treat, purchased gingerbread cookies from Walgreen's.  I believe they were the cause of much misery.

In my research to determine the cause of the tremendous itch in my weepy red eyes and the epidemic of canker sores throughout my mouth, I discovered that canker sores can be caused by emotional stress or  trauma. So, the crunchy crunch of the cookies in combination with the holiday stress, must have triggered the outbreak.

My doctor was at a loss for a diagnosis. He prescribed steroid cream for my eyes and face and antiviral medicine for my mouth. Nothing helped. Nothing. My eyes were red and swollen, the skin under my eyes was red and swollen, my forehead was red and my lips and gums were red and swollen. I looked like I'd been hit by a truck. The pain was excruciating. Oxycontin was the only thing that even remotely touched it. With the drugs, I couldn't sleep through the night. Trying to open my eyes was a challenge as they crusted over during the night. It wasn't bacterial pinkeye as the exudate wasn't purulent, only serous. Still, the goo solidified and effectively sealed my eyes closed.

Continued misery and now six days of missed work (dreadful effect on my paycheck) forced me back to the internet. All this time, I had been thinking horses, but as time passed and pain increased, I started hearing the hoof beats of zebras. Behcet's Syndrome was at the top of my list.

The literature indicated persistent canker sores should be seen by a dentist. A visit later, I was prescribed Magic Mouthwash. The most amazing stuff leaves my mouth numb and tingly. The combination of Magic Mouthwash and hydrocodone make my world fluffy and bubbly. No pain.

Last night during the wee morning hours, when the drugs wore off, I woke up and was able to open my eyes. The first time in a week that they weren't sealed shut. I must be on the mend. I hope so. At least I don't look like I've survived a car wreck.

No comments: