Thursday, March 23, 2006

Crafty

I love to make beautiful things.

My first adventure in crafts was making bows. It took lots and lots and lots of practice, but I have conquered to task. I can make beautiful bows. Thank you very much.

Then I started making wreaths. Well, my mother is far better at making wreaths than I am. I just had to find my niche. So, when Halloween rolled around, I make the coolest, creepiest Halloween wreath. It had spiders, spiderwebs, black and orange gunks of glitter, black tulle ribbon, and a big raven. Too, too cool.

Then I discovered scrapbooking. It wasn't too far a leap to stamping. We, okay...my husband, call it crap and stamping. I have accumulated an entire closet and a dresser full of crap and stamp stuff. I am such a sucker for colorful paper.

Just when I became comfortable with that crafty medium, I decided that I could make gift baskets. In a shop where I worked last year, there were small wicker baskets for sale. They were nothing special and were selling for $10. I thought that was outrageous, especially since yard sales are the best place to buy baskets. BING. A light went off inside my head and I said to myself, "Self, you can make cuter baskets than that and for a lot less money." So, out on adventure to find good baskets, cheap. Those yard sales were a goldmine. Nearly all of the baskets I bought that weekend were 25 cents. The most expensive one, which was also the biggest cost 75 cents.

Fall theme, for me, is easy. So, I picked up thousands and thousands of acorns off my lawn. I also picked up about a million of these prickly, seed pod, ball things from one of the trees on my property. Then, I invested a couple of bucks on spray varnish and glue. Wouldn't you know, my baskets are beautiful.

Soooooo, I mentioned all of this to my beautician. She requested I make her a spring wreath and a gift basket. She said she wanted to get an assortment of greeting cards to put in the gift basket. I chimed right up and told her that I make greeting cards, too. She was thrilled and told me to make a stationery gift basket. No problem. Cake and pie.

I'm hoping that she'll be thrilled and tell all of her friends about it. Then, I just might be able to make a few bucks to support my crap and stamp habit.

No comments: