Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Bell Ain't Done Rang Yet.

Is it any wonder why American students perform so poorly on academic tests? Yesterday, while earning my paycheck as a substitute teacher for 8th grade math, I actually heard the above sentence spoken to me. I began taking attendence and one girl graciously informed me that I shouldn't because, THE BELL AIN'T DONE RANG YET. This was a student in the 8th grade. What makes it even more appauling is that English is her first language. Now, I could forgive the poor grammar had she been a foreign student having been exposed to English as maybe her second or third language, but she was a native speaker! How horrible is that?

Later the same day, I actually heard a member of the faculty say, "I growed up with these kids." An educator actually uttered growed and used it in a sentence. It's not even a word! Frankly, if faculty can't speak English, how can the students be expected to speak properly?
GROWED.

I would really like to see a community where folks have a command of the spoken and written word. I'm sorry that our society condones celebrities who can't speak a coherent sentence nor write one. I'm disgusted with the whole eubonics approach to literacy.

I don't be nothing. I ain't no sick mess, aw'right. I don't want to be axing no pacific questions to none of them inbred igits. Aw'ight. My peeps don't be needing to be trippin' like dat. Peace out. Word. Oh, no you din't just go there. I sho nuff did. Don't be gittin' all like dat. Aw'ight.

This isn't an issue of race. It is simply an issue of education. These examples of unacceptable English are spoken by both whites and blacks. I have heard white faculty members slaughter English grammar. I have heard both white and black students speak horribly. Sometimes, the written submissions are not even legible. The chicken scratch that passes for penmanship is pitiful and that doesn't even take into consideration the "hooked on phonics" spelling. Granted, I am not the best speller, but I know that "my techr is nis," is a poor display of middle school academic performance.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

PACIFIC (HAHA) reminds me of Forest and a certain Judge when he was called to testify!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly Hanson said...

Scully---I hate it! Any idea how to get rid of it?

Anonymous said...

Yea!! Where do I vote!! I get more and more nervous about sending my children to public school because to the trash they try to pass off as an education. What ever is a parent to do? You try to set a good example, only to be thwarted by a middle school teacher on whom your child has a crush. I am so not looking forward to our school days. Sure do miss you. Hope to be able to stop and see you if we ever find out shen Vic gets CSM. Take care and speak the truth. Terri

Kelly Hanson said...

Since this posting, nothing has happened within the public schools to improve my attitude. On Thursday, I actually had a high school student flat out tell me she doesn't like me. The reason....I made her change seats because she was talking too much with her friend. Yep. Silly me. Asking questions about partnerships, stock and corporations in a business class was just too much of an imposition on her social time. How RUDE of me. That's what she said. I was rude to have moved her. Give me a break.