Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Let the Consequences Begin

Looking through my mail last night, I discovered an envelope with a German stamp. Either it would be a bill, a notice or solicitation from the phone company or... I'll take what's behind door #3......notice of a traffic violation.

The notice, naturally, is 100% in German, but I know what it says. Although it was addressed to my husband, I know it was for me. Basically, it translates like this:

Dear Registered Owner,

On such and such date, the vehicle registered to you was observed proceeding through such and such intersection against the light. If the driver of the vehicle was you or someone you know, respond to this summons.

Sincerely,
The German Authorities.


I have no excuse. I did it. So, I take my notice of law violation to the Provost Marshal's Office and speak with my colleague. I was prepared for the big fat fine and the 30 day suspension of operator's license. But, lucky me. I crossed the white line at exactly (and I mean EXACTLY) the same time the light turned red. Had I crossed even a tiny fraction of a second later, I would be facing a BIG FAT fine and a operator's license suspension. Had I been traveling the speed limit, I wouldn't have been as lucky. Good thing I was speeding through the intersection when I did. I only will have to pay a big fine. Not even a big fat fine and certainly not a BIG FAT fine.

My colleague, the German liaison for the Provost Marshal, handles traffic violations all the time. He asked if I would like to have the photograph of me crossing the line and the secondary confirming photograph taken a split second later. It's not really necessary. I know I ran the red light. The second photograph might be something funny to see. My son pointed directly at the camera as it flashed the second time. My colleague said he wanted to see that picture so he would hold onto my admission paperwork until the photo arrives. I suspect it will ultimately end up on the Wall of Shame eventually.

If you are interested...the minor fine for this violation is 50 euro + 20 euro administration fee. Over all, the 70 euro ($100) is a sweet price to pay considering what I had been facing.

No comments: