Tuesday, April 01, 2008

That Saddle

Okay, the saddle is a wee big at the withers. So, until I get a riser pad, I'll be riding without a saddle. The problem now is that my local tack shop, doesn't have riser pads for western saddles, only english saddles. I suspect I'll be forced to order one. Hopefully, I can find one that fits. It's not as if I can have Kadance go try one on.

Anyway, I rode my girl this past Saturday. This was the first time since my fall. I was very nervous. Kadance did well, as her trainer said she would. I guess I was lacking confidence. The pain of my fall and the subsequent rehabilitation is still in the fresh in my mind. It took a few minutes and a lot of reminding to breath before I relaxed enough to enjoy myself. Kadance was a champ and was not in the least bit concerned.

So, today I played with her for about an hour and then took a lesson with her trainer. It was amazing. Still bareback, we asked Kadance for a trot and she gave it. The very first trot with a rider! She is so smooth. I was able to easily sit her trot. Even when she got going a bit fast, I had no difficulty with her. Her trainer and I are both impressed with her progress. Concerned that my knee brace might be causing her some irritation, I lifted my leg up near her shoulder. Woohoo! That was something new that she wasn't exactly ready to experience and she bolted. I, however, remained right where I was and ended up flipping over her backside and onto the ground. As I was airborne, I focused on remaining relaxed and directing the impact away from my knee. There was just no way I wanted to explain to my husband, doctor and physical therapist that I hurt myself AGAIN. I hit the dirt right on my hip. You may recall the photographic evidence that I do not bounce...well, I hit in the same spot. I suspect that later this evening and/or tomorrow, I'll be bruised up. Just great. As my husband is returning home tonight from a 3-day trip to California, won't he be pleased at my discoloration.

No comments: